Don’t you love pregnancy insomnia, or as I have renamed it -“Insom-nom-nom-nia” the reasoning behind this is:
- I’m awake every day by 5am then want to sleep at some inappropriate day time hour
- As soon as I am awake at said ungodly hour I am starving, so starving I am thinking of sleeping closer to the fridge!!
Without my 8 hours I am less than a cheery lady on a morning so recently I am so delightful I even get annoyed at the birds singing at 5am!
Many pregnant women say it’s hard to sleep because they can’t get comfortable, need to run to the bathroom constantly, have leg cramps, and are excited – and anxious – about their baby’s arrival.
With so many physical and emotional changes happening, it’s no surprise that 8 out of 10 women have insomnia and other sleep problems during pregnancy. Misery may love company, but it won’t provide much comfort when you’re watching the numbers on your clock change in the middle of the nigh
Methods that are meant to help pregnancy insomnia:
- Start winding down before bed with some sort of soothing ritual. Take a warm bath, have a cup of chamomile tea, listen to quiet music, ask your partner to rub your feet – whatever helps you relax.
- Make sure your room is a comfortable temperature for sleeping. Is it dark and quiet enough? Heavy or dark-coloured curtains can help keep out unwanted light, and sound machines can help mask the drone of traffic with white noise.
Healthy snacks with the more sever insom-nom-nom-nia 😉
I figured if I am going to snack I should do it more healthy, that way if I do wake up in a horrible mood at least I wont also be mad about the food I am filling myself with!
So I have cleared out the junk and filled my fridge with some of these healthier varieties:
- Fruit cups, mini fruit salads filled with different fruits, at the moment I love raspberries and pomegranate with yoghurt so this one I am enjoying often
- Veggies & Dip, not even going to lie to you how I love chips and dip – all day every day – my healthy alternative carrots /cucumber & tzatziki – healthy & yummy!
- Instant Oatmeal – big one to fill me up, seem as my gremlin is constantly starving (kinda like it’s dad 😉 ) I like instant oatmeal it takes little time to make and you can add honey or jam to give it some flavour
- Smoothies – there are so many great smoothies out there & they are quite filling as well as tasty. I like a banana and strawberry one made with yoghurt, water, 1 frozen banana, strawberries to taste, a drop of vanilla and a drop of honey – you can blend this the night before and leave it in the fridge ready for your early morning foraging 🙂
Do any of you ladies suffer Insom-nom-nom-nia? Comment below and let me know how you have been getting on!