I am sure we have all been through the lovely constipation, all hoping that as we hit that magical 14th week it would pass by!
Well, let me share a little something with you – it doesn’t always! My doctor has prescribed me iron & this increases constipation – it feels worse than before. So here I am at 16 weeks 5 days and constipated to hell and frustrated ( sitting on the loo feeling like your practising for the 9 month mark cannot be fun in anyone’s books!)
So how have I coped?
- Keep hydrated, I have been drinking as much water as possible (I know you feel it runs straight through you, but trust me it does help)
- Cold water hasn’t been as effective but boiling the kettle and letting it cool to room temperature is an actual life saver – add a little lemon if you like some flavour (lemon also may trigger contractions of the bowels that help you pass waste.)
- If you’re really bunged-up (nice I know 😉 ) Try prune juice, a mild laxative, mix into a smoothie and only use a little bit as it really works.
- Moving around may help you move your bowels. Walking and swimming are low-impact exercises that you can do almost to the end of your pregnancy.
- If you feel the urge to poo – go, go, go! Don’t hold it in as it will pass bye and you will be stuck with that constipated feeling.
- When you go if you are pushing a little too much raise your feet off the floor about 15CM this lines your tubes up better and can help things.
Good luck my lovely ladies!!