Are you craving that indian takeaway but just don’t want to give in?
Chicken Tikka Masala is one of those amazing dishes that tastes different at every restaurant you order it. I have yet to meet a version I didn’t like, although some I’ve enjoyed more than others.
As I know; far too well at this point; that us mums to be tend to be very sleepy by the end of a working day & I reckon quite a few of us wouldn’t mind coming home to a warm meal ready to eat! Sooooo just in case you had any qualms about trying this recipe, let me just point out to you that it’s made in a slow cooker. With no pre-marinating, pre-searing, pre-anything. Just dump it in and turn it on.
Notes about this recipe:
- Yes, you absolutely must find yourself some garam masala.
- You’ll want to use a good-sized slow cooker; anything smaller than 3 quarts probably won’t work out.
- Please, please, please follow the recipe and don’t add the yogurt in until you’ve let the slow-cooker contents cool. And please be sure to temper the yogurt by stirring in some of the warm Tikka Masala sauce as directed. Using non-fat yogurt is awesome for your waistline, but low-fat dairy products have a tendency to curdle and get generally ticked off if you introduce them to high temperatures.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 c. crushed tomatoes
- 1 c. canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. cardamom
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 oz. fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the ginger, garlic , tomatoes, coconut milk, spices, and chicken in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Uncover and let cool ten minutes.
- Stir together the yogurt and cornstarch in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to activate the thickeners. Stir few spoonfuls of the warm Tikka Masala sauce into the yogurt to bring the temperature up and prevent curdling. Pour the yogurt mixture into the slow cooker, stir, then let thicken for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve over basmati rice with a sprinkling of cilantro leaves.