They’re packed with vitamin C, folate, and fiber, and since they’re nearly 90 percent water, they’ll also help you meet your daily fluid needs (skimping on your fluid intake can leave you feeling fatigued).
Oranges are best known for their vitamin C, and for good reason: vitamin C helps to support the immune system of mothers-to-be, and also helps in the release of iron and zinc from foods, which are vital minerals that help strengthen the immune system.
It has been well-established that folate is a beneficial vitamin for mothers-to-be. Folate is used for the formation of blood cells and new tissue, and supports conception and development of a healthy placenta. Researchers have also found that women with higher folate intakes had increases in their foetus’ birth weight.
Recipe: Orange sorbet with bitter sweet chocolate – perfect for summer!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice (about 5 oranges)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 oranges, sectioned and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely grated
- Combine juice and sugar in a large bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add oranges and water.
- Pour orange mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Garnish with bittersweet chocolate.
Recipe: Dark Chocolate & Orange Muffins – perfect for chocolate addicts like me 😉
- 1 3/4 cups plain all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (no gelatin)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line muffin tin with paper.
Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest, and chocolate in a large bowl and mix to combine.
In another smaller bowl, combine the yogurt, butter, eggs and orange juice until well blended.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
Spoon the batter carefully into the prepared muffin tin.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. They are ready to serve straight away.
Recipe: Strawberry-Orange Cocktail – Perfect Refreshment!
- 10 ripe fresh strawberries,sliced
- 5 oz(150 g) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 5 tablespoons vanilla ice cream
- In a blender,combine all ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with fresh strawberry and orange slice.