Fall is officially here, and as those cold days breeze on in there is nothing like a healthy hot soup to fill you right up!
There is so much flavour in this soup you will be wanting seconds!!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
11 cups water
3 cubes chicken stock
3 chicken breasts- cut into bite-size pieces
2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup light cream
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Onions – finely chopped
- Sauté Garlic and onions in a pan until browned
- Cook the chicken on a medium high heat until half cooked
- In a 5-quart pot, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms. Remove from pot, and set aside.
- In a large pan, combine water, stock cubes, chicken, broccoli, onions and garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until soup thickens. Simmer 5 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cream. Mix in cheese 1 cup at a time, and stir until melted.